THE WILMARY APARTMENTS
Mike Darby, Director
About the Wilmary
The Wilmary apartment building, located two blocks from the center of downtown Anderson, was purchased by the First Baptist Church Housing Ministry Corporation in 1986. The governing authority is a board of trustees comprised of eight First Baptist Church members and one ex-officio member.
The Wilmary Apartments ministry is to serve as a non-profit outreach of First Baptist Church. Our mission is to provide safe, secure, and affordable independent living quarters for senior citizens of our community.
Forty-eight apartments exist in the Wilmary: 12 one-bedroom units, 32 efficiencies, two suites, and two penthouses. All apartments are non-smoking, and rental fees average $405 per month. Each apartment has a private bath and kitchen with refrigerator, and utilities (electricity, water, sewer, HVAC, and parking) are included. An on-site laundry facility is also available, along with a common area with kitchen for residents to use for Bible studies, game nights, social gatherings, etc.
Sharing the Vision
How can you, your Sunday School Class, or your Missions organizations help?
The Housing Ministry’s vision is transforming the Wilmary into the best building that it can be, and making it a resource to be shared with individuals and groups for First Baptist Church activities. Keep in mind that the ultimate goal of the ministry is to minister to our senior adults in need of independent living. It is hoped that many people will want to share in the vision.
- Inform others who may need this kind of living arrangement.
- Teach a Bible study class for residents · Transport residents to doctor appointments, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.
- Help with newsletter for residents
- Become a member of our first team volunteers · Donate books, furniture, clothing, or food · Make a monetary donation · Adopt a resident
- Accept a major need as a group project · Lead activities for residents once a month · Plan and conduct social activities such as picnics, parties · Help conduct fund raisers for renovation · Renovate a room · Adopt a “grandparent”